Tuesday, June 28, 2005

7:45 am

Driving to work, the morning radio show is on. This one is hosted by a married Compatrido couple: the drag in their speech (unlike the Outposters' vocal hopscotch when they speak Compatridese) and the smartarse sense of humour would give them away, anyway.

At 7:45 they comment on gay rights in the context of dark (butt)holes, stereotypically hystrionic queerboys (they actually used the word), dressing in drag (in tights, more specifically) and kids without a mum (hypothetically adopted by two gay men, that is).

Think about it: a foreign couple with a radio show on a major radio station (Energy) abusing gay people at 7:45 am.
"Beat that!", said Jod.

At 8:10, when I was parking, they were still on air. You should have figured that out. I did not ring the station to protest: they would reply that I take good natured humour too seriously, or (worse! god forbid!) that I am gay.

6 Comments:

Blogger Francis S. said...

Sigh.

28/6/05 21:50  
Blogger The Passenger said...

How major is Energy? Isn't it a pop-music station with an audience predominantly in their teens and early twenties? It's as if it is the BBC of the outpost is it?

It's never-the-less true that the Outpost is hostile to homosexuality.

29/6/05 16:12  
Blogger The Passenger said...

The second line should read "It's NOT as it is the BBC of the Outpost is it?"

Damn my sloppiness!

29/6/05 16:13  
Blogger Loxias said...

Well, 'major' in terms of audience size. Remember that Energy is the one station with a single frequency 'for all cities'.

Isn't it a pop-music station with an audience predominantly in their teens and early twenties?

Of course, young ones like me! Or like many gay people, for that matter. Actually, there appear to exist very few gay guys above thirty-something in the Outpost (I've heard of one) -- like straight guys, they probably all embed themselves into marriages by then. As for lesbians, I think the analytical category has not been developed yet over here.

Finally, whatever the local attitudes, as a Compatrido bastard myself (or 'Compatrido faggot', as we are collectively known in times of trouble), I find the couple's behaviour at least callous.

29/6/05 18:21  
Blogger sissoula said...

I like Jod's comment.

1/7/05 07:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firstly you aren't known as 'Compatrido faggots' only in times of trouble, that's what I always call all my Compatrido friends! :)

Recently, I saw a gay couple in the Outpost's capital, walking together, holding hands. I was pleasantly surprised that they weren't being lynched. Then I also saw another couple at the International Outpost Fair, albeit more extravagant in terms of fashion and makeup. Plus, i have a friend who's been out of the closet for a while now. It's getting better. Still a long way to go, but getting there. If only the church would dissappear, things would be so much easier.

1/7/05 17:26  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home